Monday, November 11, 2013

Dried Beans


 Did you know that there are hundreds of varieties of beans, or legumes, in the world? Dried beans are one of the oldest crops in the history of man and still cultivated today. As with many foods, there is a renewed interest in dried beans. Once disdained as a poor man's meal, beans are showing a resurgence in high priced restaurants, and other venues.





I've ordered quite a few types of beans from Rancho Gordo. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but I like the idea that some of their products are heirloom beans grown in Mexico. I'm helping the farmers there when purchasing, while enjoying this delicious food. Vegetarian, and high quality protein, especially when combined with rice, these little seeds can be cooked and eaten in various ways.

Below is a short video which Rancho Gordo has filmed. I thought I'd post it here for those who are new to cooking dried beans.  I generally soak the dried beans overnight, and cook in the morning, using the bean liquor. I can then let the flavors meld in the refrigerator, and gently heat them for dinner. I serve our beans over brown rice, with a little cheese sprinkled on top. Or if I've tortilla chips, we use those.
Cooking the beans with green chiles gives a little bit of spice. Other flavorful condiments used  are sour cream, cilantro, diced fresh tomatoes, and avocado. And don't forget corn!  The Mayans grew corn and let the bean vines grow up the stalks. This was one of their main foods.

  (Fun music on this video!)

Beans are a great vegetarian alternative to meat. They're cheap, and can be prepared in a myriad of ways. Try replacing them once a week in your dinner menu. Use your imagination! You'll be surprised at what a wonderful and satisfying food are dried beans.


3 comments:

elliott said...

The best thing I've had to eat in Turkey (and there is lots of good food there) is called kuru fasulye with pilav, or white beans cooked in tomato sauce with rice. Sounds plain, but it's very good.

Ginger said...

We love beans... I have lots of great recipes from our vegetarian days. Tonight we are having Tuscan Chickpea soup. yum!

Angela said...

Oh I feel so inspired!