Saturday, April 26, 2008

Here Chick Chick Chick !



Today while wasting time looking at the various breeds of chickens, I impulsively ordered five chicks. They should arrive June 4th. To order your own, see here.
Each is a different breed and hopefully female. These breeds are known to be docile, so not only I, but the grandkids will be able to have fun playing with Grandma's hens.
I have over a month to prepare a coop and run. I know what I want to build, but have to purchase the materials for them. I also have to finish transplanting some things in my backyard, so I'll have a space large enough for the coop.
Just so you know how cutting-edge your Mother is, most of the hatcheries are having trouble having enough chicks to fill orders. Backyard chickens are a growing phenomenon all over the nation. Several large cities now have an annual Backyard Coop Tour! There is even a full length documentary film about chickens; I'm waiting for Sundance to pick it up. :)
I'm pretty excited about my chicks... freshly laid, flavorful eggs, by friendly hens enjoying life in my backyard. And all that free fertilizer!
Yes, Mother was green when it was still just a color.

9 comments:

Laura said...

Hooray! So your going to build your own coop? Thats awesome! My friend who has Chickens here, they lay pastel colored eggs. I don't know if I believe her, is that possible?
Still I think that its a great idea to have chickens!

Carla said...

Yep!
Ameraucanas lay pastel blue eggs;they have a 'blue' gene. Eggs are really either white or blue, with various tints over the layer of shell to make them appear different colors.
The 'Easter Egger' chickens who are an Ameraucana mutt,lay various shades of blue, green, sometimes even a pink tinted egg. Very fun for kids!

Barbara said...

You are inspiring me to do the same. We certainly have room in our backyard.

Charles said...

*psssht*

Easter bunny my rear!

Bethany said...

I'm going to invite myself over with the kids this summer!

Carla said...

Please do! That would be fun and I'd love to see you. :)

Lyle said...

Yay for chickens!

Jenny said...

how exciting! bentley will be thrilled to hear the chickens are on their way.

Em Levy {orange + barrel} said...

I am impressed!!!