




I thought you might enjoy reading the letter about the recipient of another QOV.
He Wanted Me to Tell All of You Who Make Quilts of Valor That You Saved Him. Posted On: 2007-12-23
As you know I make quilts with the 5th graders at our school for Quilts of Valor. Not to long ago one of the teachers' sons was injured in Iraq - Sgt C was flown from Iraq to Walter Reed and mom -Mrs T- was going to see him. Since she has helped us with our photo albums and our picture programs we really wanted to make sure her son had a QOV.
We had one quilt already done and quilted and (yay us) labeled, but since we normally don't deliver them until May we hadn't finished a scrap book. But I quickly made a pillowcase, took the quilt in, a bunch of our 5th graders got together and wrote letters, and we took the quilt to Mrs. T . I was proud of the way we sprang into action - this took us all of 3 hours as she was leaving that night.
Well today - who should appear at the school dressed in his army fatigues and looking rather well, with his Red White and Blue Quilt? But Sgt C appeared and made rounds to all the 5th grade classes. He is very young - 20 - but so gracious to the kids!
He shook hands with all the kids, and when Mrs T introduced him to me - she said " and this here is the quilt lady who helps us do all this" and I reached out my hand to shake his - as had all the kids - and got a bear hug instead... the kids laughed - I am rather tall ( 5'10") and I was smushed and dissappeared. The kids seemed to get a kick out of that. But he wanted me to tell all of you who make quilts of valor that you saved him. He has a head injury and was very depressed - and the quilt made him feel loved and strong enough to "get thru".
So I am passing the thanks along to all you great folks who make quilts and who to those who sent us fabric to be your subcontractors. And I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas!!
2 comments:
Cool story! I like the quilt, too.
great story, and a beautiful quilt.
thanks for sharing them both.
Post a Comment