Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Range of Our Vocabularies

Some of you have heard me complain mention the dumbing down of our society. It's as if people have forgotten how to think more broadly than previously; society seems to be stuck in a small box. And it doesn't really seem to care. It's certainly that way with words.  Words are wonderful things, and yet we know/understand/use less of them each year. I'd like to write 'each generation', but the situation is more dismal than that.
People have forgotten how to have fun with words. Society is often incapable of painting a picture with words.  The same adjectives are used over and over. Boring!
A few weeks ago I used the word 'gay'.  I love that word. It brings images of lightheartedness, youth, fun, without a care... Gay describes spring flowers, and so many other things. Gay has been hijacked, used as a synonym for homosexual and now also as a derogatory.
sigh.
I refuse to let this delightful word languish in a world for which it was not born. And I would ask you to feel the same way, also. Bring 'gay' back to your everyday life!

A gay, lighthearted, charming and festive quilt by Vickie... 

DSCN2984sm.jpg
DSCN2985sm.jpg
DSCN2986sm.jpg

No comments: