Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Just Go to Sleep!!

I wish I had known more about children's need for sleep when I was a young Mother. I thought (foolishly) that on nights that the children stayed up later, they would sleep in later the next morning... Totally wrong!
My daughters know soooo much more about children's need for sleep, how to encourage a recalcitrant sleeper to cooperate, and get more sleep themselves as Mothers.
Some time ago I read an article concerning a young boy and his desperate parents.  The little boy could not sleep. He was growing more aggressive the older he became. The boy was taken to doctor after doctor, but still the nightmare (!) continued. After two hours sleep, the child was up and active. The parents were terrified he would harm his baby sister, or even themselves. Their son threatened violence with a knife.
One day, after an MRI it was discovered that the boy's growing brain had no where to expand. It was caught in an area which was becoming more cramped. An operation was performed (frightening, because the outcome was unknown), in which a small piece of bone was removed at the base of his head.  t
The brain expanded into the area.That night the boy slept! His personality instantly changed... he was kind to his younger sibling, and the family was no longer afraid of his aggressive behavior. The boy no longer threatened others, and wonderfully he was happy! Because of the surgery, he was miraculously returned to the real boy that he was.
Have you wondered seriously about sleep deprivation and how it affects different people? So much to learn about the human brain!
Here is a short video of a new study that will be done concerning toddlers and sleep deprivation.  I'd like to hope that I will find the study's results in a few years.



No comments: