Tuesday, September 07, 2010

2011 New Musical

I just found this on Gracenotes. This should be um... interesting.
What is it with South Park and Mormons, anyway?

Amid months of speculation, Michael Riedel reports in the New York Post this morning that South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone have created a new musical that will play Broadway in March 2011. The musical, entitled The Book of Mormon, is (naturally) a comedy that centers on two young Mormon missionaries who are sent to Uganda to spread the gospel of the Mormon church. The secondary plot revolves around the story of Joseph Smith, founder of the Church of Latter-day Saints.

The musical is being co-directed by Parker and Jason Moore (of Shrek and Avenue Q fame). Scott Rudin and Anne Garefino, executive producer of "South Park" are producing. Robert Lopez, Tony Award-winning composer for Avenue Q, is also collaborating on the project.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

Hmmm... A musical set in Uganda. Sounds interesting (in a hmmm kind of way.)

Bethany said...

Yuck.

I heard one of their writers is an ex, but who knows?

Twenty Somethin' said...

Will I be considered a bad Mormon if I go?