Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Raccoon PS

No raccoons to be found anywhere! The grass now stays in place at night and when the gardeners come Monday, I think the chicken wire can be put away for good.
I'm happy I didn't hurt the raccoon, and hopefully they will spread the word to their friends about the dangerous woman that lives in this house.

When I returned the trap to the Humane Society today, I asked the woman if they euthanize the raccoons. She looked shocked!!
"Oh, no.... we don't kill any wild animals unless they've been badly hurt!"
"But you euthanize skunks." I said.
Again the shocked!! look. "No, we wouldn't do that." She gasped a little at me.
Well, apparently they did because the people at the HS told me so when I brought all those skunks in that long ago summer. Which makes much more sense. But I didn't tell her this. I figured I'd shocked!! her enough this morning.
So I asked "How do the animals know their way around the new area, and how to find food, water and shelter?"
She stumbled a bit "They take them where there's lots of food, and it's not hard for them to find."
Oh. As in some other neighborhood overrun by raccoons?
I hope she's wrong and they euthanize the things.

No comments: