Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Snake in Eden


Well, perhaps Snake isn't quite the right word... but our little Eden does have a snag. Or two. When I was a child, I remember coughing, and not being able to take a deep breath. I can look to the skyline and see the brown sludge, so I know that things are not good. However, here it is *again* in black & white.
Sunny areas like Los Angeles face the harmful effects of ozone year-round. In fact, the Los Angeles metro is named the country's worst for ozone by the American Lung Association's State of the Air 2010 report, released Wednesday. The ranking is worrisome for the city's residents because inhaling ozone is akin to "getting a sunburn on your airways," says Dr. Norman H. Edelman,
and
The State of the Air report also ranks cities based on short-term and year-round particle pollution, which are caused by emissions of sulfur dioxide, carbon and nitrogen oxides. The short-term measure ranks metros by periodic spikes in airborne particles, and Bakersfield, Calif.; Fresno, Calif.; Pittsburgh; Los Angeles; and Birmingham, Ala., were, by this measure, found to have the country's five worst.
and
Some of these cities also show up in the rankings for year-round particle pollution, which measures the daily average level of airborne particles. The five worst areas are: Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Ariz.; Bakersfield, Calif.; Los Angeles; Visalia, Calif.; and Pittsburgh.
and... out of five cities which ranked worst for ozone pollution in the United States Los Angeles is #1. The other four cities are also located in California.
sigh
1. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, Calif.
Total Population: 17,786,419
Pediatric Asthma: 442,040
Adult Asthma: 1,094,827
Chronic Bronchitis: 556,68
Emphysema: 200,338

3 comments:

Ginger said...

I hate to tell you, but smog isn't the only problem in your Eden. :-)

I saw that article in the WSJ today... Indy metro area is #25. Better than last time when we were #8. :-)

Lyle said...

*blech*

Em Levy {orange + barrel} said...

I can't run outside and breathe at the same time.