**************************************************

About 20 of us stood on the four corners of a busy intersection near the city mall for two hours today. We held blue and yellow placards which said "Vote Yes on Prop 8". I stood with Hugh and watched the cars drive by. Many people waved/honked to us, giving a thumbs-up sign. Once someone called me a nasty name. One man with a cellphone came and began taking photos of me and another man with our placards. I knew it wasn't good... and then he said 'yeah, smile bigots'.
So I called to him, "Why are you calling me a bigot?" He came over, expecting a fight I believe. I asked him if he wanted to know why I couldn't support homosexual marriage. (He was upset that I used the word 'homosexual' and said I should call it 'gay'.) Twice he called me names, and I called him on that; I wasn't calling him names. He tried to be civil, but just really couldn't. I told him that children need a Mother and Father; this is a proven fact. He was put out and said that he had 'thousands of papers' that proved this wasn't true. I think he was pretty disgusted with my ignorance.
All I know is that he was very intolerant of my point of view.
Another man was arguing with others when we were leaving. He was a teacher and said emphatically that children were NOT taught about homosexual marriage. But I'm a mother of nine who have been through the public schools, and I know differently. *See the above link.* I told him I didn't want to argue, but if he wanted to hear my ideas, I would talk with him.
He said 'well, of course you want to argue, but go ahead'. So I began to speak, but he interrupted me. Twice. So Hugh and I just left.
He didn't even try to be civil, was very intolerant, also.
5 comments:
Good for you, Carla (and Hugh). The link didn't work, though, and I'm curious!
Lame!
You guys are tough! :-)
The man who said that there are "thousands of papers" establishing that children do not need a mother and father is simply wrong. Obviously.
I'm sorry you've got people calling you a bigot. That's pretty inappropriate.
I think in 50 years people are really going to recognize how important the nuclear family was. But by then it will be too late.
Nice job taking a stand even though you opened yourselves up for abuse!
I am finding that is often the case when discussing prop 8,a lot of people who are aginst prop 8 dont want to hear anything you have to say. They just cut you off at the start. This is not always the case though, I have been able to discuss the matter openly with people who belive differently than I. It is sad when they call us intolerant of homosexuals and then turn around and completly bash anything we say in support of our belifs. Those of us who are not able to be in California right now appreciate all that you are doing in support of prop 8.
That link needs to be fixed, Mom.
How did you get involved in that group of people? I wish I were there about now...besides the fact that it snowed last night and is still going on today.
Post a Comment